Friday 11 July 2014

It's your choice to work or play.



I don't wanna work, I'm a girl who just wants to have fun!
So, I've gonna changed my workdays into play days.






I choose to have my children at home full-time and I choose to be the home maker. I now choose to turn my passions into profit...and to enable me to do that, I need to know that I don't have to go to work when the children fall in a heap at the end of their day of fun, that when they are out and about with friends, I need to know that I don't have to go to work and miss out on play.

I need to know that I don't have to turn my day off … to work.









What I've chosen to do is to love my life, be with my children full time, to live my passions and dreams and to help others do the same. I've noticed that seeing my only day to myself as work has stopped my creative fire. Put a halt to the juice of life that otherwise seeps through my skin from my soul centre, radiating out from my cells and setting fire to someone else's passions.

Thinking about work makes me think that I have to do it, that it's toil and trouble, that it'll be hard and that it'll be an uphill slog. 

It's not that I see it this way all of the time, but the term work does have these connotations for me.

Turn it around then and let's play!

If we've chosen to do something that takes up the majority of the week, year, life, it should be something that we at the very least look forward to. 


None of these Monday mornings that loom half way through the weekend. 

None of this judgement towards ourselves that all we can do is work to be able to play. We all know that we should live to work not work to live, but how many of us put that into action?

Well, starting from today I am.

And I'm changing my workday to play day.

My day.







The day I get to be me. Not mum or wife or sister or daughter. Not councillor or friend or domestic goddess either.

Just me.

And who am I?
I'm a runner. I'm spirit. I'm a health junkie, a nature lover, a peace seeker. I'm a foodie, a writer, a researcher and a woman.




A woman who likes to have fun!
So, I put my plan into action today.



Having got my three children up and ready for a visit to the caves that navigate their way underneath the Crystal mountain dominating our valley, I handed over the reins to my beloved who'd just come in from work. Once they departed, I sat down for five minutes to breathe through the chaos.

Instead of my usual domestic chores taking charge of my body, mind and soul, even before my work day starts, I dug out my old running shoes. Before my head understood what I was doing, I legged it outa the door and ran down the hill in search of some adrenalin.

Once I reached the beach, I climbed the ghost of old macrocarpa, a beauty-full grandfather of a tree, the spirit moved on a long time ago. Stroking the limbs of the giant bleached bones of skeleton, I wandered my eyes lazily over the yellow sands dipping quietly beneath the ocean. Allowing my mind to flow on the messages of the wind, the trees bowing gently in answer, I felt myself soar, to become one with the landscape I've called home.






And when I came to, I legged it and popped by to see a neighbour who I wanted to pass on a message of love.

Hiking back up the hill to home, chatting with piwakawaka the fantail who hopped and flapped around me, I felt fully charged. Finishing off a ritual of togetherness, I showered, nourished myself with a green smoothie and set to tinkle with the ivories of my faith-full companion, a day of playing with words mapped out in front of me.






And the funny thing is, my exercise, meditation, social needs and self care took a full hour, although the time immersed in these personal endeavours ran away and gave me an extra morning. Instead of perpetually loosing time on household chores and work, I gained a morning and a full battery pack to power me through the rest of the day.



No comments:

Post a Comment